Leadership spotlight: Director of MVNO & Carrier Services
In this series we will hear from the Senior Leadership Team at Three about the latest activity across the company and a little about the people behind the projects.
- Name: John Dunican
- Job title: Director of MVNO & Carrier Services at Three UK and Three Ireland
- Function: Finance
- Tenure: At Three Ireland since 2014
Tell us a bit about your background
After university I spent a year in New Zealand and when I returned in 2004 I started my career with O2 in Dublin as a Wholesale analyst. I was with O2 until Three acquired the business in 2014. Since 2004 I’ve had a variety of roles in the Wholesale and Business Sales functions and I started working across UK and Ireland in my current role in June 2020.
In a nutshell, describe your role and how you support our business objectives
I work across MVNO and Carrier Services in UK and Ireland. Our department covers Wholesale Roaming, Interconnect, Messaging & Verification, and our MVNO business.
- In Wholesale Roaming our team manage the technical and commercial relationships with roaming partners across the globe and supply the roaming service for our subscribers.
- Our Interconnect team manage the commercial aspect of every call and SMS in and out of the Three network.
- The Messaging & Verification team help businesses (such as banks, airlines, delivery companies, and many more) deliver SMS alerts, reminders, one-time passwords, and delivery notifications to our customers.
- The MVNO team monetise the Three network through partnering with businesses who want to offer a mobile service.
It’s quite a varied role and I’m here to ensure Three make the most of these commercial arrangements and at the best quality level.
Our MVNO division is a key focus area for Three, and recently we announced the arrival of Matt Ward as Head of MVNO. Why is MVNO so important?
Bringing MVNOs onto the network is a great way to monetise the investments Three has made in our network and spectrum assets. Three has a clear strategy to grow our MVNO business over the coming years. We recently renewed our relationship with iD Mobile. To renew with a partner who have over a million subscribers is a great reference for Three, our network, and our MVNO team. We want to build on that success by growing our existing MVNO partners plus growing via new partnerships with businesses who are considering offering a mobile service.